Article Text

PDF
SAT0175 A descriptive analysis of real-world treatment patterns in a turkish rheumatology population that continued innovator infliximab (REMICADE) therapy or switched to biosimilar infliximab
  1. Y Yazici1,
  2. L Xie2,
  3. A Ogbomo2,
  4. D Parenti3,
  5. K Goyal3,
  6. A Teeple3,
  7. L Ellis3,
  8. I Simsek4
  1. 1New York University Hospital for Joint Diseases, New York
  2. 2STATinMED Research Inc, Ann Arbor
  3. 3Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, Horsham, United States
  4. 4Guven Hospital, Ankara, Turkey

Abstract

Objectives This study examined treatment patterns in a rheumatology patient (pt) population initially prescribed innovator infliximab (IFX) that either switched to biosimilar infliximab (CT-P13) or continued on IFX following availability of CT-P13 in the Turkish healthcare system.

Methods Adult pts with ≥1 diagnosis code (ICD-10-CM M05.X; M06.X) for rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and a prescription for IFX were identified in a national Turkish health care database during the study period (01DEC2010–01DEC2015). Eligible pts were those who continued on IFX (Continuers cohort; CC) or switched from IFX to CT-P13 (Switchers cohort; SC) during the identification period; had continuous medical/pharmacy benefit enrollment ≥12 months before and ≥6 months after the index date (date of switch for SC and a random IFX prescription date for CC); had a prescription claim for IFX within 16 weeks of the index date during the baseline period. Demographics, concomitant disease, medications, and treatment patterns (dose, refill interval, discontinuation, and switch) were summarized. A confirmed discontinuation was defined as a switch to another biologic medication or the absence of an index biologic claim for ≥120 days without censoring. Patient weight was unavailable in the dataset.

Results Key results are shown in the Table. A total of 3018 pts met study criteria. The majority (95%; n=2870; CC) continued on IFX and had a mean age of 44 years; 46% were female and mean follow up of 12 months. A total of 148 pts (5%) switched to CT-P13 (SC) and had mean age of 44 years; 51% female and mean follow up of 9 months. Approximately 40% of pts in each cohort had a concomitant diagnosis for ankylosing spondylitis (AS; Table). Other concomitant diseases and medications appeared balanced between cohorts. In the CC, pts had an average of 4.7 infusions at a mean dose of 4.4 vials approximately every 10 weeks. In the SC, pts had an average of 2.6 infusions at a mean dose of 3.6 vials approximately every 10 weeks. Therapy discontinuation occurred in 38% in the CC; average time to any discontinuation or censoring of IFX was 256 days (Table). In the SC, CT-P13 discontinuation was observed in 82%; average time to any discontinuation or censoring of CT-P13 was 124 days; 74% of SC switched to another biologic with 94% of these returning to IFX.

Conclusions This study shows switching from IFX to CT-P13 was infrequent. However, in those switching to CT-P13, a high percentage (82%) of CT-P13 discontinuation was observed and the majority returned to IFX. Further studies are needed to understand the reasons for these observations.

Disclosure of Interest Y. Yazici Grant/research support from: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, L. Xie Consultant for: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, A. Ogbomo Consultant for: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, D. Parenti Employee of: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, K. Goyal Employee of: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, A. Teeple Employee of: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, L. Ellis Employee of: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC, I. Simsek Grant/research support from: Janssen Scientific Affairs, LLC

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.