Article Text

PDF
FRI0075 Effects of Dmards on Citrullinated Peptide Autoantibody Levels in RA Patients- A Longitudinal Analysis
  1. G. Schett1,
  2. C. Wunderlich2,
  3. C. Figueiredo3,
  4. J.F. Cobra4,
  5. A.J. Hueber1,
  6. A. Kleyer1,
  7. J. Rech5
  1. 1University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
  2. 2Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg
  3. 3Universiy of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany
  4. 4Instituto de Reumatologia de São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
  5. 5Department of Rheumatology and Clinical Immunology, Universiy of Erlangen-Nuremberg, Erlangen, Germany

Abstract

Background Anti-citrullinated cyclic peptide 2 (CCP2) antibodiy levels are considered to be highly stable during disease-modifying anti-rheumatic drug (DMARD) therapy of rheumatoid arthritis (RA). However, no studies have actually analyzed sequential anti-CCP2 antibody levels during various DMARD therapies in a controll manner

Objectives To study whether stable treatment with DMARDs affects anti-CCP2 antibody levels in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.

Methods In this longitudinal observational study 100 RA patients were followed for anti-CCP2 IgG antibody (U/L) and total IgG level (mg/dL) every 6 months for a total period of 2.5 years. All patients received stable DMARD treatment during this period. Five groups comprising each 20 patients were analysed: (1) methotrexate (MTX) alone, (2) tumor necrosis factor inhibitors (TNFi), (3) tocilizumab (TCZ), (4) rituximab (RTX) and (5) abatacept (ABA).

Results Baseline demographic and disease-specific characteristics were comparable between the 5 groups. Anti-CCP2 antibody levels did not show significant changes in patients treated with MTX (mean±SEM: -24.1±8.1%), TNFi (-14.0±11.1%) or TCZ (-24.3±11.3%) between baseline and the 2,5 years follow up. In contrast, anti-CCP2 antibody levels significantly decreased during treatment with RTX (-75.6±4.4%) and ABA (-82.5±3.7%). With respect to total IgG levels, no significant changes were observed with MTX (-24.1±8.1%), TNFi (-14.0±11.1%) or TCZ (-24.3±11.3%) over 2,5 years. In contrast, anti-CCP2 antibody levels significantly decreased during treatment with RTX (-75.6±4.4%) and ABA (-82.5±3.7%). Date for individual patients are summarized in Figure 1.

Conclusions DMARDs targeting the adaptive immune response such as ABA and RTX significantly lowered anti-CCP2 IgG levels, while cytokine inhibitors and methotrexate had no significant effects on anti-CCP2 IgG levels. RTX is the only DMARD, which also lowers total IgG level. Lowering anti-CCP2 IgG levels is a step towards sero-conversion and immunological remission of disease.

Disclosure of Interest None declared

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.