Article Text

PDF
THU0192 Subclinical Baker's Cysts and Functional Limitation in Patients with Knee Osteoarthritis: Ultrasonographic and Power Doppler Study
  1. A. Abogamal1,
  2. A. Kasem1,
  3. H.S. Nasser1,
  4. S. Abdulhakim1,
  5. A.M. Dewedar2,
  6. T.M. Abd Elghaffar3,
  7. F.H. Zayed3,
  8. E.A. Helal4,
  9. K.F. Elhasanein5
  1. 1Rheumatology, Alazhar Faculty of Medicine, Cairo
  2. 2Rheumatology, Suez Canal Faculty of Medicine, Ismailia
  3. 3Orthopedic
  4. 4Radiology, Alazhar Faculty of Medicine
  5. 5Internal Medicine, Ain Shams, Cairo, Egypt

Abstract

Background Baker's cysts have a significant functional impact in patients with knee osteoarthritis (KOA), which in turn made its detection an important issue. Despite the impact of these cysts, clinical diagnosis remains of low sensitivity which raises the possibility of subclinical cysts.

Objectives Estimate the subclinical presence of popliteal cyst and its impact on functional limitation in patients with KOA.

Methods Study was carried out on 444 patients with primary KOA, grade III according to kellgren and Lawrence scale with absence of any clinical signs suggesting the presence of Baker's cyst. Knee functional status was assessed using KOOS scale for Pain, other Symptoms, Activities of Daily Living (ADL), Sport and Recreation Function (Sport/Rec) and knee-related Quality of Life (QOL). All patients were assessed by Ultrasound and power Doppler for detection of Baker's cyst.

Results US showed that 396 (89.2%) patients out of 444 had no Bakers cyst and they represent group one, on the other hand bakers cyst detected in 48 (10.8%) patients which represent group two. Comparison of both groups shows that KOOS scale parameters was significantly higher in group one than group two, as t was 9.4 for Pain, 8.2 for Symptom, 10.1 for ADL, 17.9 for Sport/Rec, and 11.3 for QOL and p<0.001.

On the other hand a significant negative correlation was found between the cyst size and the KOOS parameters where r was -0.794, -0.702, -0.653, -0.448, -0.607 for Pain, Symptom, ADL, Sport/Rec, and QOL respectively and p<0.001.

Conclusions According to our results Baker's cysts appears to be frequently present subclinically and its subclinical presence was associated with highly significant functional limitation of the Knee joint.

Disclosure of Interest : None declared

DOI 10.1136/annrheumdis-2014-eular.1144

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.