Education is one of the major duties of EULAR. Initial training, continuing education on rheumatic diseases and more specific training on particular aspects of the rheumatic domain are now well covered by the EULAR online courses. Launched 8 years ago, the course on Rheumatic Diseases has attracted more than 2,500 students, to follow the course, from all over the world and from all the continents (http://www.eular-onlinecourse.org/).
This course covers, in 42 modules; over a 2-year period, all majors aspects of the Rheumatic Diseases, from RA, SLE, Vasculitis to Crystal Arthropathies, and Septic Arthrities, Fibromyalgia etc. The success of the course is based on its quality. More than 120 faculty members, all experts in their field, participate to the material presented on this course.
A Head of Project, coordinators, the EULAR Executive Secretariat for logistic and administrative matters, convenors, an educationalist and a webmaster are the permanent members of the team that provides for the perfect day to day functioning of the course.
The components of the course are as follows:
– An update/review on the topic (approx.10,000 to 15,000 words) with learning objectives, pictures for illustration in the text and 10 key references.
– Two additional in-depth discussions (max. 2,500 words) expanding on selected clinical problems, with an evidence-based discussion.
– Two interactive typical clinical cases with questions and prepared answers for feedback.
– Assessment questions: one set of questions addressing core aspects of the module, adding up to 20 marks (1 mark =1 correct choice from a set of possible choices).
– Online questions to the faculty.
– Final examination online.
Beside the online course on Rheumatic Diseases, other different courses are running or are in the pipeline. The online course on Connective Tissue Diseases is a part of the whole course on Rheumatic Diseases and can be done over a one year-period. The EULAR online course on Scleroderma has 10 dense modules covering all aspects of the disease. More than 50 different EUSTAR members have participated on this task. Two other courses are being built and should be launched: the EULAR On-Line Course in Paediatric Rheumatology next September and the EULAR On-Line Course for Health Professionals in September 2015.
Disclosure of Interest None declared