Article Text

PDF

FRI0132 Decreased serum dnase 1 activity levels in sle patients with active disease
  1. I Gunnarsson1,
  2. F Guo-Zhong1,
  3. HG Mannherz2,
  4. M Napirei2,
  5. A Gültekin2,
  6. J Frostegård1
  1. 1Department of Rheumatology, Karolinska Hospital, Stockholm, Sweden
  2. 2Abteilung Für Anatomie and Embryologie, Medizinishe Fakultät, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Bochum, Germany

Abstract

Background DNASE 1 (deoxyribonuclease 1; EC 3.1.21.1) deficient mice have been shown to develop classical symptoms of Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE) with anti-nuclear antibodies in the circulation. Low serum DNASE 1 activity has been reported in patients with SLE.

Objectives The aim of this study was to investigate serum DNASE 1 activity in SLE patients in relation to disease activity. In addition, the relationship between the DNASE 1 activity and renal involvement was analysed.

Methods Serum samples from fifty patients with SLE (ACR criteria), 39 females and 11 males, mean age 44, were analysed for DNASE 1 activity by the single radial enzyme-diffusion method (SRED) (Nadano et al., 1993). All sera were analysed on three separate occasions and the mean value (pg/ml) from the three experiments was used. Anti-dsDNA antibodies were detected by indirect IFL. SLE disease activity was assessed according to the Systemic Lupus Activity Measure (SLAM). A SLAM score of 7 or above was considered as high. Thirty (60%) had high disease activity (SLE/active), the other 20 patients (SLAM <7) were classified as SLE/inactive. Twenty-six (52%) of the 50 SLE patients had glomerulonephritis, in all cases confirmed by renal biopsy; the other 24 patients (48%) had no clinical signs of renal involvement. The renal biopsies were classified according to the WHO classification. Six patients had WHO class II, 12 WHO class III/IV and 8 WHO class V.

Results Serum DNASE 1 levels were significantly lower in the SLE/active patient group as compared to the SLE/inactive patients (12.4 ± 3.8 vs. 16.1 ± 3.7 pg/ml, mean ± SD, p < 0.005). Among the 20 SLE/inactive patients, a trend towards lower serum DNASE 1 levels was noted in patients with renal involvement (n = 9) (14.8 ± 3.6 pg/ml) as compared to patients without renal involvement (n = 11) (17.1 ± 3.5 pg/ml, p = 0.06). However, in SLE/active patients, there was no significant difference in DNASE 1 levels between patients with and without renal involvement. There was no association between the levels of DNASE 1 activity and anti-dsDNA antibody titres. Twenty-five of the patients received prednisolone treatment. Among these patients, low levels of serum DNASE 1 activity were found to be associated with high dose prednisolone therapy (r = -0.552, p < 0.005).

Conclusion This study demonstrated low DNASE 1 levels to be associated with high disease activity in SLE patients and may represent a novel marker of disease activity independently of anti-dsDNA antibodies. Further studies are needed to clarify the role of DNASE 1 in SLE manifestations and disease development.

Statistics from Altmetric.com

Request permissions

If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.