Article Text

PDF

Gout in black South Africans: a clinical and genetic study.
  1. B Cassim,
  2. G M Mody,
  3. V K Deenadayalu,
  4. M G Hammond
  1. Department of Medicine, University of Natal, Congella, South Africa.

    Abstract

    OBJECTIVE--To define the clinical characteristics of gout and determine if there were any genetic associations with gout in black South Africans. METHODS--The records of 107 patients with gout seen over a five year period were retrospectively analysed. The HLA class I and class II antigens were studied in a prospective survey of 46 patients. RESULTS--The male to female ratio was 6.6:1. The diagnosis of gout was based on identification of monosodium urate crystals from the synovial fluid, synovial tissue or tophaceous material in 62 patients (58%) and on clinical criteria in the remaining 45 patients (42%). The mode of presentation was monoarthritis in 40 patients (37.4%), pauciarthritis in 30 (28%) and polyarthritis in 37 (34.6%). The joints which were most frequently involved were the knee in 91 patients (85%), the first metatarsophalangeal in 80 (74.8%) and the ankle in 66 (61.7%). A secondary cause was identified in 52 patients (48.6%) (diuretic therapy in 48 patients and chronic renal impairment in four); 55 patients (51.4%) had primary gout. The genetic study showed an increased frequency of HLA-B14 in patients with primary gout compared with controls. CONCLUSIONS--Gout is more common in black Africans than previously recognised and frequently presents with involvement of more than one joint. There was an increased frequency of HLA-B14 in patients with primary gout but the clinical significance of this is uncertain.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.