Article Text

PDF

High molecular weight glycosaminoglycans in AA type amyloid fibril extracts from human liver.
  1. J H Magnus,
  2. S O Kolset,
  3. G Husby
  1. Institute of Medical Biology, University of Tromsø, Norway.

    Abstract

    Glycosaminoglycans have previously been identified in extracts of AA type hepatic amyloid fibril from a patient with amyloidosis associated with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis. The macromolecular properties of these polysaccharides are described here in more detail. By gel filtration and ion exchange chromatography glycosaminoglycans in the form of high molecular weight free chains were shown to coisolate with water extracted amyloid fibrils. About 60% of these were characterised as galactosamines (chondroitin sulphate/dermatan sulphate), whereas the remaining 40% consisted of N-sulphated glucosamines (heparin/heparan sulphate). The amyloid associated glycosaminoglycans were not part of intact proteoglycans in the fibril extracts.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.